Monday, February 15, 2016

February Home Store Challenge: February 15th

Woohoo!  I caught up! 

So here's the thing... I mentioned on the first day of this challenge that there were two reasons I wanted to do this challenge.  Budget was one.  The other I said I might talk about later.  Well, it's later.  But not late enough.  So I will just say that there is a very good possibility that our family will be making some changes that made me think it would be wise to eat out of our home store for a while.  Because it's not 100% sure, I don't want to divulge more than that at the moment.  But once it is, well...  I'll make sure to make it clear why I decided to do this now.

But for now, here's today's food!  And as another note, here's what I told my husband based on today's experience:  one thing I've noticed with doing my home store challenge is that, in some instances, cooking is taking longer.  Like today...  I didn't have hamburger buns, so I made them from scratch.  I didn't have cole slaw dressing, so I had to make one.  I find that the internet has been an asset, since I can search for other people's recipes.  It's truly awesome.  My husband's comment, in response to mine, is that we are probably eating healthier this way though.  True.

Breakfast:  granola and milk!  We finished up this awesome granola.  Which means I'll need to make some more this week!

 Then I had to get busy working on the hamburger buns!  I spread out my food prep throughout the day so I wasn't rushed at dinner time.  It was a busy day for me.  Also, I should mention that THRIVE Whole Eggs have been a life-saver.  I'd have run out of eggs a long time ago if not for these!  Definitely one of my home store must-haves!
 Just a picture of my hamburger buns...  Top batch had just come out.   Bottom batch ready to go in.  The first batch got a little darker than I wanted, so I adjusted the time and temperature for the 2nd batch.
 Ingredients for home-made cole-slaw, including dressing.  This was for dinner.

For lunch, my girl asked for mac and cheese again.  Plus I added some peas and pineapple.  I had the same thing, by didn't picture my bowl


 Baby boy had squash and peas.  Finished off the peas, so need to make more this week.
 Made the potato salad for dinner right after lunch so that it would be able to sit in the fridge and get yummy ;).
 And here are the fixin's for the main dish!  Black Bean Burgers!  These are seriously so good.


 Baby boy had mashed potatoes, corn, and cauliflower for dinner.
 My plate:  black bean burger with cheese, mustard, and ketchup; potato salad; and cole slaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment