Monday, September 22, 2014

THRIVE Potato Chunks + a Recipe!

I recently made my family sloppy joes for dinner.  And for some reason, potato salad just seems to be an appropriate side dish for sloppy joes :).

But here's the thing:  I don't always do a good job of having "good" potatoes on hand.

What do I mean by that?  Well...  Inevitably, I will buy potatoes and then not use them quickly enough.  And I'll end up with molding potatoes.  Ummmm...  Yuck.  And then I have to cut off a lot of the potato and waste it.

A friend of mine has talked to a potato farmer in the past, and apparently there are instances in which potatoes at the grocery store have been on a 6-month journey.  Yikes!  I guess that may explain why mine seem to mold faster than I use them.  (To be fair, for some reason I use potatoes very slowly...).

So THRIVE Potato Chunks were on my list of things to buy!  And, actually, they were among the items I got in my host benefits order from my first party!  And there was a very convenient recipe on the can for Potato Salad!

But, before I get to the recipe...  Just a little info on the THRIVE Potato Chunks.

THRIVE Potato Chunks are actually dehydrated instead of freeze-dried.  THRIVE Life offers both options, but I chose to start with the dehydrated potato chunks.  I definitely plan to try out the THRIVE Potato Dices as well and see which ones my family prefers!

Here's what I already love about the potato chunks:
  • They have a 25 year shelf-life unopened.  Which means I can have potatoes for the long-haul and not have them go moldy!!! 
  • They have a shelf-life of 1 year after they are opened!  Which means I don't have to use them up right away and they still won't be moldy ;)!  (Do you see a trend with the mold thing ;)?)
  • Sodium Bisulfite is added to preserve freshness, but the sodium content of the potatoes is much lower than other wet-pack canned potatoes (THRIVE Potato Chunks have 1% of the daily recommended value of sodium while some canned potatoes have 15%).
  • I saved so much time by not having to peel and dice the potatoes!  Easily 10 minutes of my time was spared by simply scooping out my chunks and putting them in a pot with water and turned on high to boil!  
Basically, I can see a lot of THRIVE Potatoes (whether they be chunks or dices) in my future!

So here's the Potato Salad recipe that is on the side of the #10 can!  (And it is husband-approved -- my last attempt at Potato Salad he said wasn't "real" potato salad -- because it was "Loaded Baked Potato Salad ;)).

POTATO SALAD
3 cups THRIVE Potato Chunks
4 1/2 cups water
1 cup dill pickles, diced
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 to 3 teaspoons onion, diced*
1/2 teaspoon salt*

In a saucepan, bring potatoes and 4 1/2 cups water to a boil.  Turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Drain and cool.  Put potatoes in a bowl and mix in pickles.

In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.  Gently stir the mayonnaise mixture into the potatoes and pickles.  Chill for 2 to 3 hours to blend flavors.  Makes 8 to 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment