Friday, August 15, 2014

Using THRIVE Butter Powder Again!

Having THRIVE butter powder in my home store is exciting to me.  Mostly because I like the idea of a longer-term store of butter.  But I'll be honest when I say I am not always great at remembering to use it.  Particularly because I do a lot of sauteing, and I've read other blogs which indicate the butter powder does not saute well.  I've tried it out as a spread, and I thought that was great.  I've even made cookies with it -- and that worked out well (and the cookies were delicious, so that's really what matters most!).  But I like versatility -- and I like knowing I can use my butter powder in a variety of ways!

So today, I remembered to try out my THRIVE butter powder in two new ways!

1.  Kraft {Blue Box} Macaroni and Cheese.  Okay, so I like this stuff.  To tell the truth, I prefer the Velveeta... But one day I noticed the sodium content of Velveeta and decided I'd go with the Blue Box.  Not much better, but a little bit.  I know it's not the best stuff.  Which is why I don't give it to my daughter...  Yet I eat it.  (Probably an unwise choice...  But oh well.)  So, the preparation for the macaroni and cheese calls for butter, right?  Well, today I decided to use THRIVE Powdered Butter and see how it went!  I added a tablespoon of the powdered butter along with the milk and the cheese packet and just stirred!  It worked out great :).  I probably should have added a bit more milk, but I never actually measure the milk anyway, so mine usually comes out a little drier than it could be.
2.  For dinner I made Tomato Biscuit and Cheese.  This is a recipe my mother-in-law gave me -- which she got from her mother-in-law :).  I think that's pretty cool.  There is always the option of buying English Muffins or pre-prepared biscuits.  But I usually make mine from scratch.  I didn't have any shortening (and dog-gone-it...  My THRIVE shortening powder only just shipped today with my host benefits order from my launch party, so I didn't have that either!).  So I decided to use butter powder instead.  I just added the butter powder right into the dry ingredients!  I will post the recipe -- as I made it -- below.  (By the way, I just got rave reviews on the biscuits from my husband -- and he had no idea I made them with butter powder!  And he is generally my best gauge for anything new I try ;)...).


Baking Powder Biscuits
1/4 cup THRIVE butter powder
2 cups all-purpose flour* (I used 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat)
1 tablespoon sugar*
3 teaspoons baking powder*
3/4 teaspoon salt*
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk* (you may want to add more milk -- up to 1/4 cup)

Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Place THRIVE butter powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.  Add milk and stir until just blended.  Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet
and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook.

*Denotes ingredients available through THRIVE Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment