Thursday, October 16, 2014

Sausage Pizza

Home-made pizza is a hit at our house.  But, because it's a great way for my family to get a lot of vegetables, I pretty much always make a vegetarian pizza.

Today, however, we find ourselves not in our house and still in our friends' house.  Which meant I was cooking dinner for 4 (plus a toddler).  So I made two pizzas!  One vegetarian and one sausage!  I'd been wanting to try out the THRIVE Sausage Crumbles on a pizza for some time now, and tonight presented the perfect opportunity!

I made my standard pizza dough as follows (this recipe makes one pizza crust):

2 1/2 to 3 cups flour* (tonight I used all white, but usually I do 1 cup white, 1 cup wheat)
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon yeast*
1/4 teaspoon salt*
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 cup water

Combine two cups flour (for me this is one cup each) plus next 5 ingredients.  Add remaining flour a little at a time until it is not sticky, but still a little tacky.  Knead until it becomes smooth and supple.  Grease a large bowl, place dough in bowl and turn to coat.  Cover with damp towel and place in a warm place to rise 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on how much time you have).

While the dough is raising, get the toppings ready:

1 cup THRIVE Sausage Crumbles
1/4 cup THRIVE Chopped Onion
3/4 cup chopped bell peppers*
1/2 of an 8 ounce can tomato sauce*
THRIVE Seasonings Basil
THRIVE Seasonings Oregano
1 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese*

Rehydrate THRIVE Sausage Crumbles and THRIVE Chopped Onion in water 5 to 6 minutes.  Drain.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

When the dough is ready, press it out onto a pan of your choice.  Spread with tomato sauce.  Sprinkle sauce with THRIVE Seasonings Basil and THRIVE Seasonings Oregano.  Then top with bell peppers and THRIVE Sausage Crumbles and THRIVE Chopped Onion mixture.  Sprinkle all with mozzarella cheese and bake 20 minutes or until dough is cooked and cheese is melted.

*Denotes ingredients also available through THRIVE.

I was definitely pleased with how the pizza turned out!  And even happier that I didn't have to mess around with raw sausage OR chop up onion in order to enjoy this pizza!

If you'd like to give these THRIVE Sausage Crumbles a try, contact me at THRIVEingNilla@gmail.com!  I'm definitely loving them!  And don't forget:  the THRIVE Seasonings are only available through your consultant!

No comments:

Post a Comment