Monday, October 13, 2014

Chicken Asparagus Pasta

Well, in case you haven't heard...  My little family of 3 is currently staying with a very dear friend.  Our apartment building is having some construction going on -- the kind that required we not be in the building for the duration of the project...  I suppose it makes since, since I just drove by to check on progress and, if we were there, we'd literally have no way to exit our apartment as all the front decking and stairs are gone...

But it is still not the most convenient of things.  Particularly with a toddle.  However, we are very blessed to have such amazing friends who have welcomed us into their home and given us our own space.  It has been a great help.

The result of this temporary relocation (that could last up to 10 days -- and hopefully not longer!), is that I am unsure how frequently I'll be able to update this blog.  Not having all my THRIVE at my fingertips can make it challenging to cook with it ;).  But I'll do my best to fill you in on worthwhile information in the interim!

Today, though it's not a make-ahead recipe or a meatless recipe, I figured I would post a recipe I made last week.  And I'll tell you a funny little story to go along with it ;).

So I am a Pinterest fan.  And anytime I happen to find a recipe on there I think I might want to try, I pin it and eventually get around to trying it.  So I had pinned a chicken asparagus pasta dish many, many months ago; because I had extra fresh asparagus to use up (I'd bought a whole bunch for a Marvelous Monday Meals -- and didn't end needing it all.  And I didn't want it to go to waste, so I had to find a recipe to use it!).  Well, I made the recipe using fresh chicken breast and fresh asparagus -- and I didn't really like it.  I mean, it was okay.  But it didn't knock my socks off.

Fast-foward several months, and now I tend to scour Pinterest with my "THRIVE eyes."  This means I'm always looking for recipes that would be great for all my THRIVE!  So I came across this recipe for Chicken Asparagus Pasta and I thought, "Well, that looks good.  And I can use my THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Strips and THRIVE Asparagus!"  So I pinned it to my THRIVEing with Nilla board.  All the while not realizing I'd made the recipe before.  And then I decided to make it last week.

And then, as we were eating it, I became sure I'd made it before.  And wasn't so impressed the first time I made it (with all fresh ingredients).  So, I tell you this story, because this was not my personal favorite dish -- or anywhere near.  And that was true whether I made it with fresh or THRIVE.  the benefit of using my THRIVE was that at least I didn't have to waste time handling raw chicken or washing and chopping asparagus.  And, just to allow the two sides on this...  My husband likes this dish just fine (but I am still not making it again!)

So here's the recipe.  Because who knows?  This may be up your alley -- and THRIVE certainly makes it easier.  But it's just not as up my alley as I thought it would be...  Twice. ;). (This is where I found the original recipe when I made it with THRIVE.)

CHICKEN ASPARAGUS PASTA
1 12 oz box Bow Tie pasta
1 1/2 cup THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Slices
1 cup THRIVE Asparagus
1/2 cup chicken broth*
1/2 cup reserved pasta water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil*
1 teaspoon dried oregano
red pepper flakes pinch of
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to directions on the package. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Slices to the water.  In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the THRIVE Asparagus to the water. Drain and set aside while reserving a cup of the pasta water.

In a skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil.  Add dry seasonings.  Add broth, milk, cream cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese to the skillet.

Add pasta, chicken, and asparagus to your skillet and stir until well combined. If pasta seems too dry, add reserved cooking water a little bit at a time. Stir over med heat until desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and extra Parmesan to taste.

*Denotes other ingredients available through THRIVE Life.

Again, it's not my personal favorite and I don't plan to make it again...  But I liked that I saved time with THRIVE :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment