Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Product Highlight: THRIVE Sour Cream Powder

I'm one of those people who almost never has sour cream in the refrigerator.  For one thing, when I do buy it for a specific recipe, about half of the container almost always ends up growing mold.  And getting tossed.  Which irks me a lot.  But for another thing, and I don't even understand how this happens, but it almost always does (or rather, did)...  When I make my grocery shopping list and need sour cream for something, that is the one ingredient I seem to forget to write on my list.  It has happened multiple times. 

One time, in my pre-THRIVE days, I was so desperate, I started calling people within walking distance of my house to see if they had any I could borrow (in an effort not to make a special trip and waste gas).  Well, my mom just so happened to have some, but it was a rigamarole to get it, since she was at work and I had to get to the hidden house key, etc.  All of this with an infant in tow. 

So yes...  Sour cream is one of those things in my house-hold.  And when I learned I could get THRIVE Sour Cream Powder...  Well, I knew that was going to be stocked in my home store permanently!  I can't even tell you how many times it's saved the day.  I love it. 

So I figured I'd feature it today, so I can tell you all about THRIVE Sour Cream Powder -- why I love it and just a few tips from my own experiences.

Shelf Life:  THRIVE Sour Cream Powder can sit on your shelf unopened for 10 years.  That is awesome.  Once you open it, you'll want to use it within 1 year, though, to make sure it has maintained it's original nutrients and such.  (This is all under ideal circumstances, of course.  If you live in a place of higher humidity, the opened shelf-life may decrease somewhat.)  Because we do not use sour cream frequently in our household (hence the fresh stuff always going bad when I managed to have it), I find that a pantry can size is perfect for us.  However, it is also available in the #10 can size, if you find that you use sour cream frequently.

Ingredients:  Sour cream powder (cream, cultures, & lactic acid), Cultured nonfat milk solids, & citric acid. CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE.  It is also pasteurized.


Tips:  When I make the THRIVE Sour Cream Powder into Sour Cream for use on Taco Salad or something similar, I tend to add the water a little at a time to get a consistency I like.  I don't necessarily follow the measurements on the can.  When I am mixing it in with other things, though, I do follow their suggestions for ratio.  Such is the case when I use it for Chicken Divan.  I would also suggest, if you plan to use it as a topping (like fresh sour cream), that you refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes (but preferably overnight), as this will help thicken it more and be more like what you are expecting.

Caution:  If you think of this as something you would mistake for fresh sour cream, you will be disappointed.  It is different.  My husband says it has more of a buttermilk flavor to it than sour cream flavor.  And it isn't' quite as creamy (especially if you don't refrigerate it).  However, many people have made it to use as a spread -- like cream cheese -- and love it that way. 

As with so many things, your tastes have a lot to do with how you will feel about this product.  For me, it has been a meal-saver, gas-saver, and time-saver!  I love the product, and plan to use it in place of fresh sour cream pretty much exclusively.  My next attempt will be to do some baking with it!  Using it in baking is actually one of the top suggestions for this product!

But if you're interested in seeing how I've already used it in my daily life, here are a few recipe links for you :)!

Chicken Divan
Jar Meal: Sausage Zuppa Toscana
Taco Soup (as a topping)

If you'd like to have some THRIVE Sour Cream Powder in your home store, contact me at THRIVEingNilla@gmail.com or head over to my website (www.thrivelife.com/THRIVEingNilla) and place your order in a few easy steps!

Happy THRIVEing!


No comments:

Post a Comment