Saturday, May 2, 2015

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

Honestly, it never would have occurred to me to try THRIVE-alizing ice cream!  However, a friend of mine said to me one day, "So I have this delicious recipe for my grandmother's homemade peach ice cream.  But it calls for raw eggs.  And that gives me the heebie jeebies.  So I was wondering if you thought the THRIVE Whole Eggs would work in the recipe?"

Well!  I thought it was a great opportunity to try something new and find out!  Plus I gave her some THRIVE Powdered Eggs to try it out on her grandmother's recipe to see how it turns out!  When she tries it, we'll see if it's comparable to her grandmother's traditional recipe :).

Meanwhile, I recalled a recipe I have had sitting in my "to try" recipe binder for a decade.  It's from a 1983 Southern Living magazine -- from back in the days when putting a recipe in a magazine that calls for raw egg yolks probably wasn't frowned upon.  Because that's what one of the ingredients is for this recipe!  But hey, I've been toting that recipe around for years, and figured this was a great time to try it out -- and avoid the heebie jeebies (and harm to my unborn) thanks to THRIVE Whole Eggs!  So, in my THRIVE-alizing of this recipe, I did change it a little bit.  But mostly kept the same :).

COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM
2 tablespoons THRIVE Whole Egg Powder (+4 tablespoons water)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 teaspoons THRIVE Pure Vanilla Extract Powder
1 cup (or more!) coarsely crushed Oreo cookies
2 cups (1 pint) whipping cream, whipped (cannot be whipped topping!)

In a large bowl, mix together powdered eggs and water until all egg powder is dissolved.  Add vanilla extract powder and mix until well blended and dissolved.  Stir in sweetened condensed milk.  Fold in cookies and whipped cream.  Pour into aluminum foil-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan or other 2-quart container.  Cover; freeze 6 hours or until firm.  Scoop ice cream from pan or peel off foil and slice.  Return leftovers to freezer.

This worked out so deliciously!  I will warn you, however:  it is rich.

Funny tidbit:  At the bottom of the recipe, it cautions the user to use only Grade A clean, uncracked eggs for safety purposes, of course.  I don't know if you can actually get anything other than Grade A eggs (at least form a grocery store) these days, but I take comfort in knowing I don't need to worry about that when I use THRIVE Whole Eggs!

After much discussion with my husband, we decided the raw eggs called for in the original recipe may just be for flavor and may not be vital to the recipe's success.  But even so, if there is a special purpose (beyond flavor) for the raw egg, then the THRIVE Whole Egg Powder does the trick and makes some awesomely yummy (and totally unhealthy ;)) home-made ice cream!  Our family thoroughly enjoyed it for dessert last night (and we have more to enjoy for another night!).

The hoarder in me wants to hold on to this relic of a recipe from 1983... But the "trying to clean out the clutter" part of me knows the original recipe must go ;).

And now I'm thinking of ways to make more homemade ice creams using my THRIVE!  Powdering up fruits and mixing them in will add quite a variety of flavors to a simple vanilla ice cream recipe :)!  So I've got visions of raspberry ice cream, blueberry, banana... floating in my head.  Oh the possibilities are endless -- and easily on-hand! -- with THRIVE!

I need to do a product highlight for the THRIVE Whole Egg Powder, seriously.  It is the very first THRIVE Product I purchased and I love love love it and use it in so many ways!  So be looking for that in the posts ahead!

In the meantime, contact me if you'd like to get your hands on some!  It's amazing stuff!  THRIVEingNilla@gmail.com or visit my website:  www.thrivelife.com/THRIVEingNilla

Happy THRIVEing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment