Monday, January 26, 2015

"Frankenmuffins"

As I've mentioned before, I'm always looking for new yummy ways to get vegetables into myself and my toddler!  I recently came across this recipe for "Frankenmuffins" in a Family Fun magazine my friend Lea gave me.  I knew I wanted to try it out (even if it isn't quite Halloween-time yet ;)), and THRIVE gave me the incentive to do so one day when I realized I had all the ingredients necessary -- thanks to THRIVE Chopped Spinach!  So I tweaked the original recipe a bit, as the original called for fresh baby spinach, and I figured I wouldn't need as much spinach while using my THRIVE.  Below is the recipe as I made them.

FRANKENMUFFINS
1 cup white flour*
1 cup whole wheat flour*
3/4 cup sugar*
2 teaspoons baking powder*
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt*
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup milk*
3 cups THRIVE Chopped Spinach, rehydrated
1 large ripe banana
2 teaspoons THRIVE Pure Vanilla Powder

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 16 muffin cups with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients and stir with a mix until well combined.

In a blender, add the oil, milk, and spinach.  Puree until smooth.  Add banana and vanilla and blend until all is well combined.  Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until completely mixed (I used my stand mixer).

Fill each prepared muffin well two-thirds full.  Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes (mine took 17).

*Denotes other ingredients available through THRIVE Life.

I seriously cannot say enough good things about these muffins!  They are delicious!  And they freeze amazingly well.  We will be making another batch of them tomorrow, because we ran out!  My toddler and I love to eat them as a snack, but I think they could even be used as breakfast.  And I just love that I'm getting extra veggies into both of us in a delicious way!  And I really love using my THRIVE Spinach in this recipe.  It's so super-easy to just scoop my spinach into the blender and add the liquids and blend!

No comments:

Post a Comment