Saturday, March 14, 2015

Celebrating Pi Day with THRIVE!

Today was pi day (or, more importantly, pie day ;)).  3.14 etc.  And this is the first year I decided to celebrate :).  I had a pie crust in the freezer (the lazy gal's way of doing pie!).  And as I pondered what to make for the filling of said crust, my mind turned to my THRIVE Sweet Potatoes, which were hanging out with the rest of my home store.  And sweet potato pie is something a bit different, after all.  Especially in the Spring!  (I think more people tend to think of it as a Fall-type dish ;)).

So I did some searching for a good recipe and found one I wanted to try here.  I did some adapting to incorporate my THRIVE ingredients.  It came together pretty easily, though I have learned I need to puree the sweet potatoes a lot more and probably needed more water.  Sometimes that's the challenge of making changes...  You have to work with them a little bit ;).  But that's okay.  I still had pie on pi day, and I tried something new!

OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE
1/2 cup butter*
1/2 cup light brown sugar*
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
2 tablespoons THRIVE Whole Egg Powder (plus 4 tablespoons water)
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups THRIVE Sweet Potatoes (plus 3 1/2 cups boiling water)
2 teaspoons vanilla*
1/4 tsp. salt*
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Place THRIVE Sweet Potatoes in a blender and add boiling water on top.  Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes until softened.  Puree until well blended and chunks are gone.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter, brown sugar and syrup together. Add eggs and 4 tablespoons water and stir. Add sweet potatoes and mix well. Stir in the milk, vanilla and salt, making sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Pour into the pie shell and bake 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (mine needed to cook longer, which is rare for my oven). 

THRIVE Sweet Potatoes are a seasonal item and aren't currently available.  But if you're interested in having them in your home store, contact me at THRIVEingNilla@gmail.com and I'll make sure to let you know when they are available again!!  I've also used them for some delicious Sweet Potato Muffins :).

So Happy Pi Day Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment