Monday, November 3, 2014

Make Ahead Monday: Baking Powder Biscuits

I have neglected this blog for far too long!  I promise my reason is a good one:  I'm growing another human.  And as a result, I have been exhausted and feeling kind of yuck many afternoons.  So I have become re-acquainted with the advice to new moms:  sleep when the baby sleeps!  Only, in this case, my baby is now a toddler.  Nonetheless, I nap when she naps.  Which means I get very little done.  Today I'm trying to play catch-up!

And what better way than to show you how you can have some Baking Powder Biscuits just hanging out in  your pantry, waiting for water to be added! 

To be honest, I didn't have these made ahead this time.  However, they include all powder ingredients (and can be made with 100% THRIVE Life ingredients!), so they totally work well as a make-ahead recipe.  And even if only saving me 5 minutes of time...  Sometimes those 5 minutes are golden moments.  And I know myself (especially these days)...  If I know I can just add water -- not dirty a bunch of extra dishes -- well, I'm sold
So here's how you make these biscuits:

1/4 cup THRIVE Shortening Powder
2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour -- I use 1 cup of each)*
1 tablespoon sugar*, if desired
3 teaspoons baking powder*
1 teaspoon salt*
3 tablespoons THRIVE Instant Milk powder

Either layer all ingredients in a jar, or mix all ingredients in a large bowl and then transfer to a jar and seal.  Use within 1 month.

*Denotes ingredients also available through THRIVE Life.


When you are ready to prepare:  Add 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup water (depending on whether you want drop biscuits or cut-out biscuits -- more water for drop biscuits).  Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
I usually make the drop biscuit recipe (because it's faster).  However, as was true today, I'm often making the biscuit(s) for a dish called Tomato Biscuit & Cheese, which I got from my mother-in-law.  It's especially awesome for that summer harvest of tomatoes!  (Our tomato plants were a little ambitious this year, so we actually got 3 littles off our plant this past week, and I was able to use those plus a huge store-bought one).  Anyway, I say all that because, when I'm making the biscuit for that...  I make only one huge rectangular biscuit.  Again, because it's faster :).
So in case you're interested in trying out the Tomato Biscuit & Cheese recipe, here it is:

8 biscuits (or one large rectangular biscuit)
8 slices tomato (or enough to cover the rectangle)
1/2 to 3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to taste
1 to 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Place the biscuit(s) on a baking sheet.  Cover with one tomato slice.  Sprinkle tomato slice with salt, pepper, basil, and oregano.

In a small bowl, mix together cottage cheese and mayonnaise.  Spoon over seasoned tomato slices.  Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over cottage cheese mixture.

Bake at 450 until cheese is melted and tomato is hot.


I don't know why, but there is something really satisfying for me about this dish.  And it's an easy one to throw together -- especially if you have made-ahead biscuit mix!

By the way, the THRIVE Instant Milk is the Q-Pon item for this month!  It's a great time to stock up on your milk supply.  I love that we can get powdered milk :).  I think it's an important part of food storage!  Contact me at THRIVEingNilla@gmail.com if you want to stock up!

No comments:

Post a Comment